Sunday, September 26, 2010

Field Trip- Campus and Trails

Taken from http://www.fgcu.edu/
                                                              Campus Trails                                                                     
I have noticed that this course has many field trips that gets us to be involed in our community and inform us about our environment. I like this much more then just sitting in a classroom reading from a book and the professor just telling us what we should do. The field trips let us get first hand experience of everything that is going on that we might not be aware of. Every week I am gettting more interested in this class and I never thought I would say or think that.

The first field trip we took was a walk around our campus. I did not know FGCU was such a green school. I love the fact that what connects the parking garages to the campus our boardwalks. Honestly, the walk from the garage to the buildings is such a peaceful walk. Ssometimes I just zone out and I forget that I am at school and I think I am walking through a park. On this field trip I learned that the reason FGCU built the boardwalks was so they would not have to cut down or damage the natural habitats that were living there. So instead of building into the grown they built over it. Another thing I love that FGCU does is that they have an ice plant that freezes water over night and during the day that ice melts and circulates around the campus and this is how FGCU provides A/C. I thought that was amazing. Just by doing things like this FGCU is saving thousands of dollars. If other universities did what FGCU does the world would be a better place.

                                              This is a picture of the Ice Plant at FGCU


                                              One of our boardwalks on campus
Last week my class went on a wet walk on campus and I had no idea what a "wet" walk meant. I knew that we would be getting dirty and very up close into nature but I did not know to what extent. I was in thigh high swamp water. I could not believe that I was doing this walk. Honestly, before I started this class I was not the most nature friendly person, but my habits have quickly changed since I have started talking colloquium. I LOVED the walk! It was intense with all the mud and walking literally through a swamp but in the end it was all worth it.


Picture was taken from http://www.google.com/ images swamp walk
This is LITERALLY what our class looked like during our swamp walk. Definitely the coolest thing I have done in a while.

Every week I look forward to coming to this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment